Weekly Sermon Notes
Thanksgiving Colossians 3:15-17
22 November 2020
Giving Thanks Through Jesus
We have many reasons to be thankful. God has instructed us to be thankful. Our thanks to God is not conditional upon our current earthly situation. It comes from a cup full of His love, mercy, forgiveness, provision, and grace.
- Let Christ’s Peace Rule (v. 15; Jn. 14:27; 16:33; Rom. 5:1; Phil. 4:6-7).
- Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.
- We have to choose to allow Christ’s peace to rule in our hearts.
- It is His peace to which we have been called.
- God has called us to let it rule in our hearts.
- So, we must surrender to the rule of His peace.
- In one body (Rom. 12:10; I Cor. 12:12, 25-27).
- We are part of Christ’s body, making us one (v. 14).
- As His body we help one another grow in Christ (Eph. 4:11-16).
- And to help each other be ruled by His peace.
- And be thankful (Eph. 5:20; I Thes. 5:18).
- Grateful for Christ and His peace.
- Thankful for salvation and all that comes with it.
- Grateful for one another.
- Give thanks for all things.
- Let Christ’s Word Dwell (v. 16; Jas. 1:21-25; Jn. 1:1, 14).
- Let the word of Christ richly dwell (Jn. 15:3, 7; 17:17; II Tim. 2:15).
– Let it dwell richly within you.
- Instruct one another (Mt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:28-29; II Tim. 3:15–4:5).
- With all wisdom (Ps. 19:7; Jas. 1:5-8; 3:13-18; I Cor 3:18-20).
- Teaching one another and admonishing one another (Mt. 7:21-27; Gal. 6:1).
- With psalm and hymns and spiritual songs.
- Singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God (Eph. 5:18-21).
III. Do Everything in Christ’s Name (v. 17)
- Whatever you do in word or deed (Eph. 4:29; Col. 3:23-24).
- Do all in the name of the Lord Jesus (vv. 23-24).
- Speak, such that Jesus could sign His name to what you say.
- Behave in such a manner that Jesus could put His name on all of your actions.
- Giving thanks through Him to God the Father (I Tim. 2:5-6).
– Our expressions of thanks, given to the Father, go through Jesus.
Let’s be people of gratitude! Let’s focus on all God has done for us and given to us. And let’s not be concerned about the things in our lives which are not as we would like them to be. Let’s be sure we devote at least some of the day to expressing genuine gratitude to God. We wouldn’t want to miss out on the joy of giving thanks to Almighty God! So, let’s remember God’s blessings and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!