Weekly Sermon Notes
John 3:14-21 CVCC Handout 11 April 2021
With or without the Savior
Life’s greatest and most important choice is whether you will go through life with or without the Savior. Not choosing is a choice to go without the Savior.
- With the Savior Means Eternal Life; without Means Eternal Death (vv. 14-16).
- All people are dead because of sin (Is. 53:6; Mt. 5:48; Eph. 2:1-5; Col. 2:13).
- Like those bitten by the serpents, our sins result in death (Num. 21:4-9).
- Though not yet finalized, death is determined, certain, and eternal.
- We have life because of Jesus (I Jn. 5:11-12; Eph. 2:8-9).
- As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness.
- Even so must the Son of Man be lifted up (Jn. 12:32-33; 14:6; Col. 2:13-14).
- So that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.
- For God so loved the world (Rom. 5:8; I Jn. 4:9-10).
- That He gave His only begotten Son (Lk. 1:26-38; I Tim. 2:1-6; II Pet. 3:9).
- Fully God, existing in the exact same essence (Phil. 2:5-8; Col. 2:9).
- Gave includes incarnation, birth, perfect life, death, resurrection.
- In his presence speaking to Nicodemus was God’s Son.
- So that whoever believes in Him shall:
- Not perish (Rom. 6:23a; Rev. 20:11-15).
- But have eternal life (Jn. 14:6; Rom. 6:23b).
- With the Savior Means No Judgment; without Is Judgment and Death (vv. 17-19).
- If we believe in Him, we are not judged (Rom. 8:1).
- For God did not send His Son into the world to judge the world.
- But that the world might be saved through Him (Mt. 20:28; Lk. 19:10).
- If we do not believe we are judged (Jn. 3:36; 5:24-29; Rom. 3:23; I Jn. 5:10).
- He who believes in Him is not judged.
- He who does not believe has been judged already.
- Because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- This is the judgement, that the Light has come into the world.
- And men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
III. With the Savior We Are in the Light; without We Are in Darkness (vv. 20-21).
- Hating the Light.
- For everyone who does evil hates the Light (Eccl. 12:13-14).
- And does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
- Coming to the Light (Eph. 5:8-9; Col. 1:13-20; I Pet. 2:9; I Jn. 1:5-10).
- But he who practices the truth comes to the Light (Jn. 17:17; Jas. 1:21-25).
- So that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.
- We who receive the Light bring that light to the lost world (Mt. 5:14-16).
How are you going through life, with Him or without Him?
If you have received Him, are you living like you have? Are you living exposed? Living the word in obedience? Are you sharing what you know to be true with others? Living as our Lord teaches us to live is a far superior life! Believe in Jesus, receive Him, follow Him, and share Him!