Fundamentals of Our Faith Colossians 1:13-22
CVCC Handout 2 August 2020 What We Believe About Jesus
What we believe about Jesus is the most important. Jesus is the heart of Christianity. Without Him there would be no Christianity. Jesus asked His disciples who people say He is; then Jesus asked who they say He is (Mt. 16:13-18). Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus stated that on his correct statement Jesus would build His Church.
- Jesus Has Always Been God (Is. 9:6-7; 42:8; 43:10-13; Dan. 7:13-14; Jn. 8:58).
- Always a coequal member of the Godhead (Phil. 2:5-6; Col. 1:13-20; Jn. 1:3).
- God has always existed as three persons, one God (Mt 28:19).
- In the beginning was the word (Jn. 1:1-3; Gen. 1:1-2, 26-27; Col. 1:17).
- He is fully God (Heb. 1:1-4; Ex. 3:13-15; Jn. 5:17-18; 10:30-33; Is. 9:6-7).
- Jesus claimed to be God (Mk. 14:61-64; Jn. 5:18; 10:30).
- He was worshiped (Mt. 2:11; 14:33; Jn. 9:35-38; Rev. 1:8, 17-18; 22:12-13).
- Jesus Became Man (Jn. 1:14).
- Incarnate within Mary by the Holy Spirit.
- The virgin birth (Gen. 3:15; Is. 7:14; Mt. 1:18-25; Lk. 1:26-38).
- The Son of God (Mt. 3:16-17; 17:5; Jn. 3:16).
- The word became flesh (Jn. 1:14; Rev. 19:13).
- Kenosis – He emptied Himself (Phil. 2:5-8; II Cor. 8:9; Jn. 17:5).
- He had to be made like us (Heb. 2:14-18; Eph. 4:11-16; Col. 1:28-29).
- Fully God and fully man (Mt. 1:18-25; Lk. 1:26-38). Hypostatic Union.
- Jesus retained His deity (Col. 1:15; 2:9; Jn. 14:8-9).
- Jesus became fully man (Jn. 1:14; Heb. 2:14-18; 4:14-16).
III. Jesus Came to Save Us (Mt. 20:28; Mk. 10:45; Lk. 19:10; I Tim. 2:6).
- He came to be the ransom for many (Is. 53:1-12; Col. 1:20-22).
- He died to make salvation available to all (Jn. 12:32; Col. 2:13-14).
- He is our substitute in death (II Cor. 5:14-21; Heb. 4:14-16).
- He is our substitute in life (Rom. 5:6-11, 17-19; Phil. 3:9).
- Jesus Rose from the Grave (Mt. 28:5-6; Mk. 16:2-6; Lk. 24:1-7; Jn. 20:3-8; Col. 1:18).
- He rose bodily on the third day (Mt. 16:21; 28:6; Rom. 4:25; I Cor. 15:20).
- He appeared to many (Jn. 20:19-31; I Cor. 15:3-8).
- Jesus is with us now (Mt. 28:20; Heb. 13:5-6).
- Jesus Is Restored to His Former Glory (Lk. 22:69; Jn. 17:5; Phil. 2:9-11; Rev. 1:12-18).
- He ascended back into heaven (Ac. 1:4-11).
- Seated at the right hand of the Majesty on high (Ac. 1:4-11; Eph. 1:18-23; Col. 3:1).
- Jesus Will Come Again (Ac. 1:11; Jn. 5:25-29; Rev. 19:11-21; 20:1-10; 22:12-16, 20).
- He will rapture the Church (I Cor. 15:50-58; I Thes. 4:13-18).
- He will judge unbelievers at the world’s end (Jn. 5:22; Rev. 20:11-15).
- He will reign eternally in the new heaven and earth (Rev. 21:22—22:7).
Christian, who do you say Jesus is? Do we live as if Jesus is who He said He is? Jesus became one of us in order to save us. He is truly worthy of our love, our loyalty, our trust, and our complete obedience. Let’s commit or recommit ourselves to live completely in service to Him. And let’s share the fantastic news about His love and salvation with everyone we can!